Sometimes our living spaces can become so out of order that we just don’t even know where to start. We might find every room in a state of disarray but there’s one room in the house that can affect me like no other and that is the kitchen.
Yes, the kitchen. When the kitchen has dishes piled up, counters are crusty and cluttered, I can hardly bear it.
These times happen when we have had a gathering and since it’s a late night I just go to sleep and at other times it’s for other reasons.
But it’s never pleasant to wake up to, no matter the why.
Here are the steps I take to bring bring things back under control and restore it to a state of cleanliness. Maybe it will help you also if you struggle with keeping your kitchen in order.
Steps to taking back your kitchen when it’s not in order
- If there are boxes, bags of chips or other food items that need to be put away, start with this and you get some immediate breathing room.
- Empty the dishwasher; or if you didn’t run it the night before, fill it and start the wash cycle
- Stack all the dishes that need to be washed to the left side of the sink
- Clean the counter to the right of the sink so it’s ready for all those items you will be hand washing
- Hand-wash any dishes that are too big for the dishwasher
- Dry dishes… I let my dishes air dry unless I need to make space for more, you can decide your preference
- Wipe down counters and stove
- Clean sink of any food particles and shine if you like
- Polish faucet
- Light a candle, make yourself a special drink and give yourself a few minutes to put your feet up 🙂 because…